【A】
John:Mom, I want to move out. 妈妈,我想搬出去住。
Maria:Hey, sounds great to me, kid. What kind of job did you find? 嘿,听起来到很不错,孩子,你找到了什么工作?
John:Job? 什么工作?
Maria:Yes, job. If you’re going to live on your own, you have to pay for rent and everything else. 是呀,工作。如果你想一个人住,你必须自己付房租,还有所有的一切。
John:I thought I could just get you and Dad to pay for an apartment. I found a cheap one. 我想让你和爸爸来付房租,我就找间便宜点的。
Maria:When you move out, your father and I aren’t paying your rent, young man. Get a job. 你搬走的话,年轻人,你爸爸和我是不会给你付房租的,找一个工作吧。
John:You’re right. If I’m going to live on my own, I have to be independent. 没错。如果要一个人住的话,我要学会独立。
Maria:Well, the newspaper is over there. Look in the want ads, but I don’t know what you’re going to find without a college degree. 哦,那边有报纸。看看招聘专栏,但是我不知道没有大学文凭你可以找到什么工作。
【B】
Laura:This is a nice place, but you need to get some furniture. 这地方不错,可你得弄些家具。
Ben:I have some I can bring from our place, and there’s some more out at my parents’. 我住的地方可以搬一些过来,而且还有一些在我父母家里。
Laura:Do you have a bed? 你有床吗?
Ben:Yeah. I have one from college at my parents' house. 有啊。我父母家有一张我大学时代就用过的床。
Laura:Can I take a shower? 我可以洗个澡吗?
Ben:Sure, but I don’t have hot water, yet.
当然可以,可以还没有热水。
Laura:Really? 真的吗?
Ben:No, they’re coming tomorrow morning to turn the gas on. My phone should be working then, too. 是呀,他们要明天才来帮我把煤气接上。电话也到时才可以用。
Laura:Well, do you want to go get some dinner?
那么,你想去买些东西当晚餐吃吗?
Ben:Yeah, I can’t cook anything until tomorrow, anyway. 好的,得到明天才可以自己煮。