Module 6 Films and TV Programmes
1. come out
2. fall in love with…
be in love with…
3. play a part in…(比较：play the part of …)
4. to one’s surprise = to the surprise of…
5. care about care for
6. (every)now and then = from time to time
= at times =occasionally
7. martial arts masters with unusual abilities
8. be popular in…
be popular with/among …
9. take place=happen
10. as far…as
11. at the age of…
12. employ sb to do
13. make a film
14. win a prize
15. argue with sb about/over sth
16. make a mistake/ make mistakes
17. Good for you!
18. What is on the box?
19. The thing is…
20. It is generally agreed that…=
People generally agree (that)…
21. Now, to everyone’s surprise, Ang lee, director of a number of excellent films, has made a martial arts film called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
22. The film belongs to the type of Chinese story called Wuxia.
23. The story takes place in the early 1800s in China.
24. The action takes place on Peking rooftops, and in places as far away as the deserts of western China.
25. As in the old wuxia stories, characters leap through the air every now and then, with beautiful, graceful movements, while audiences shout in surprise.
26. Unusually, it is the female characters that interest us most.
27. Brave, good and strong, Xiulian is the character we care about most.
28. One cannot forget the wonderful Chow Yun-Fat, who is as good with a sword as he is with a gun.
29. His romantic scenes with Yu Xiulian are very moving, as their eyes show all the love that they must not express in words.
30. Ask a young person in the street who the greatest American film director is, and you may get the answer Steven Spielberg.
31. He has certainly made more successful films than any other director in the west.
32. He showed that he had unusual abilities when he was very young, completing his first 15-minute home movie at the age of 13.
33. But it’s generally agreed, that he, more than anyone else in the history of the films, understands the meaning of the word “entertainment”.
34. In the last fifteen years some of his films have been less successful.
35. He played a part in a film at the age of five, which made him popular.
36. To my surprise, he looked at me in surprise.
37. He returned home, tired and hungry.
38. They fell in love at the first sight. They have been in love with each other ever since.
39. The movie was so moving that it moved some ladies to tears.
40. (Much) to my surprise, he passed the exam.
比较: To my (great) surprise, he passed the exam.
41. He is fond of singing while I care about dancing.
42. After the long journey, he returned home, exhausted and disappointed.
比较: Exhausting and expensive, the journey disappointed us.