All Americans would remember April 14, 1865, 26 Abraham Lincoln was shot that night, 27 a very busy day, the president and his wife went to Ford's Theatre, 28 a new play was going to put on.
Near the theatre there lived 29 actor named John Wilkes Booth, who was strongly against the 30 though he hadn’t fought for the South himself. As the play 31 after a moment for a rest, Booth came into the theatre. He walked slowly and quietly 32 the door through 33 he could move into the President's box. He looked 34 carefully so as to find the guards 35 were protecting the president from the enemy. To his joy, there was none of 36 and nobody noticed him. He reached the door quickly and began to hold the gun in his pocket.
It was quiet in the theatre. Suddenly a terrible sound 37 in on the play. It surprised everyone and soon everyone looked 38 where the sound had just come. Smoke was seen 39 from the box, where the 40 had enjoyed the play all the night! Soldiers hurried 41 , but it was too 42 . The murderer had already jumped from the box 43 to the stage from which he hurriedly ran out of the 44 .
Lincoln, one of the greatest American presidents, was shot and 45 early the next morning.
26. A. as B. where C. when D. how
27. A. before B. after C. on D. during
28. A. when B. where C. there D. before
29. A. 25-years old B. 25 years old C. a 25-years-old D. a 25-year-old
30. A. North B. South C. the Union D. slavery
31. A. came to a stop B. started C. lasted D. ended
32. A. towards B. over C. up D. down
33. A. that B. which C. where D. in
34. A. around B. behind C. back D. forward
35. A. which B. who C. whom D. what
36. A. guards B. them C. people D. soldiers
37. A. broke B. came C. flied D. went
38. A. at B. to C. up D. down
39. A. to come B. coming C. to rise D. raising
40. A. murderer B. guard C. Lincoln D. president
41. A. about B. round C. out D. in
42. A. noisy B. dark C. late D. surprise
43. A. on B. in C. down D. over
44. A. stage B. box C. gate D. theatre
45. A. was dead B. had been dead